Date:      Tue, 02 Apr 2013 11:41:58 +0200
From:      Leslie Jensen <leslie@eskk.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg_version: the package info for package '...' is corrupt

2013-04-02 11:08, Ronald F. Guilmette skrev:

> [[ I asked about this problem on the -questions list a couple of days
>     ago, but didn't get any relevant replies, so I'm trying again here
>     on the -ports list.  Apologies if you see this twice.  ]]
>
> A couple of days ago my system just simply decided to power itself off
> (twice) whilst I was in the middle of doing "portupgrade -a".
>
> I have since learned that the unscheduled and unexpected power offs
> were due to a CPU cooling problem.  I believe that I have that problem
> in hand now.
>
> Separately however, and probably as result of the sudden power offs,
> when I run pkg_version now I am getting many messages relating to
> various of my installed packages, all having the following general
> form:
>
>     pkg_version: the package info for package 'PKG' is corrupt
>
> where `PKG' is the name of some package or another that I have installed.
>
> I have at least 6 such messages for different packages I have installed...
> and probably more.
>
> I googled around a bit and did not find any good explanation for the
> above error or, more importantly, what to do about it.
>
> I gather however that my package data base has become corrupted.
>
> OK, so how does one rebuild that from scratch?
>
> Please don't tell me that I have to reinstall every bleedin' port from
> scratch!
>

> Regards,
> rfg
>

> P.S.  Oh!  And by the way, I just happen to have made a full system backup
> quite recently.  Do I just simply need to get the entire contents of
> /var/db/pkg/ from that backup, and then do "rm -fr /var/db/pkg" and then
> copy my backup copy of /var/db/pkg to the real /var/db/pkg ?
>
> Will that fix the problem?

Are you using pkg? If so the command should be pkg version without the
underscore.

/Leslie

PS: Your private mail address bounces. I've tried two different SMTP
Servers!

<rfg@tristatelogic.com>: host server1.tristatelogic.com[69.62.255.118] said:
     550 5.7.1 <mx1.bjare.net[212.31.160.3]>: Client host rejected:
bjare.net is
     BLACKLISTED - Use http://www.tristatelogic.com/contact.html (in
reply to
     RCPT TO command)

<<< 550 5.7.1 <c-4-202-233-83.cust.bredband2.com[83.233.202.4]>: Client
host rejected: cust.bredband2.com is BLACKLISTED - Use
http://www.tristatelogic.com/contact.html
550 5.1.1 <rfg@tristatelogic.com>... User unknown
<<< 554 5.5.1 Error: no valid recipients