Date:      Wed, 4 Sep 2002 22:20:32 +0100
From:      Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@btinternet.com>
To:        Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
Cc:        Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: interpreting netstat -m output

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 01:47:58PM -0700, Mike Hoskins wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> > What is the difference between the "mbufs in use" line and the "mbuf
> > clusters in use" line?

An mbuf is a fixed length structure which contains network data.

An mbuf cluster is associated with an area of memory which is used for
storing more data than you can fit in a single mbuf.

According the D&I 4.4 an mbuf is 128 bytes and (not all of this is
available for data storage), an mbuf cluster varies in size, but
defaults to 1024 bytes (but according to the book this may be different
depending on CPU architecture).

> I've wondered precisely this; perhaps one specifically relates to the
> network?  The farthest I got was netstat(1), which points to a nonexistant
> mbuf(9).
>
> Later,
> -Mike

Hey Mike :-)