Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 1998 10:28:06 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Giao Nguyen <grail@sysabend.org>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, Peter van Heusden <pvh@leftside.wcape.school.za>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moving ahead with LDAP

> Mike Smith said:
> >
> > This seems to parallel work that was being done by another party whose
> > name has been eaten by my mailer (Giao, you know who you are).
>
> Damn he's persistent :)

Ask yourself; why is he pushing me to do something?  Did I promise to
do it?  Am I late in delivering?  8)

> > Are there any portable LDAPv3 servers available?  Is the UMich server
> > at a developmental dead-end?
>
> In the exact order asked. I can't think of any except for UMich* and I
> hope not. There will be some significant ripping aparts to get it to v3
> and it'll require some significant chunks of work. I've reached the same
> state as Peter (well, except for the port part. I haven't put together
> the files for that, but it's not v3 yet so what's the point?).

The point is that 2.2 is better than nothing, even if it's not 3.0.  We
do need to start somewhere, even if it means starting with an older
standard.  Given that we have code for this, and it works, it would seem
to make more sense to focus elsewhere than to waste resources playing
version catch-up games.