Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 15:11:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PAM & LDAP in FreeBSD

Oscar Bonilla wrote:

> ok, so this clarifies a lot of things... let's get rid of /etc/auth.conf
> and go with /etc/pam.conf for the authentication and /etc/nsswitch.conf
> for the info on where to obtain the databases from.

That seems reasonable to me.

PAM actually is designed to serve four separate but related functions.
We're only using the authentication function currently.  For an
overview of PAM, see PAM(8) in the manual pages.  There is also a spec
in "src/contrib/libpam/doc/specs/rfc86.0.txt".

John
---
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron