Date:      Fri, 24 May 2002 10:08:12 +0300
From:      Ari Suutari <ari.suutari@syncrontech.com>
To:        Bill Huey <billh@gnuppy.monkey.org>
Cc:        Tim E Schafer <tim_schafer@agship.com>, Java FreeBSD <freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: All Linux JDK with Hotspot or JIT unstable on FreeBSD

Hi,

On Friday 24 May 2002 02:14, Bill Huey wrote:
> It's almost certain the case. Linux's clone() uses SIGCHLD to notify
> thread termination and other crazy non-Posix things in their threading
> system. They can't implement the full specificiation without some kind
> of kernel based signal sharing and other things. The HotSpot code
> supporting this stuff is all over the place both inside and outside of
> their threading implementation.

=09Yes, I know linux threading sucks. However, apparently
=09all that kludging inside HotSpot works obviously quite
=09well under Linux. The problem here is that people think
=09that it is going to work under FreeBSD's linux emulation also.

> The FreeBSD port of HotSpot over here is half running. I'm having probl=
ems
> with the ABI layer that mediates/marshalls....

=09This is very good news - I mean that you are making progress.

> It's encouraging, yet disappointing since I'm just this random *guy* th=
at's
> just getting into what is probably the most advanced compiler of its ki=
nd
> on that planet that's written in high complicated C++ program/class
> structure.

=09I think that most of us would like to help you, but I have understood
=09that this is very difficult and complex area to work with. Please try =
to=20
=09continue your work - if you don't make it looks like that=20
=09FreeBSD HotSpot support won't been seen in hear future
=09(at least I haven't heard anyone else working on that)

=09=09Ari S.