Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2017 04:07:59 +0200
From:      Jan Beich <jbeich@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports ML <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: graphics/opencv2 orphaned. Where from here

Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for the work on opencv, but PLEASE put something in UPDATING when
> you make changes that impact large numbers of ports. I see opencv2 as
> orphaned, so I can't stay there.

graphics/opencv has only 28 consumers which isn't that "large". I didn't
document the rename in r438490 because:
- no manual/special steps required (for pkg, poudriere and, probably, synth)
- r423216 wasn't documented as well
- partial upgrades were never supported (e.g. /quarterly packages + /head ports)
- PORTREVISION was bumped to help tools that don't (or incompletely) respect MOVED

> Do I reset the origin of opencv2 to opencv?

Yes.

> Or will I need to delete all of them and rebuild everything?

No but it'd work as well.

> Please put information in UPDATING to give us poor users some idea of
> how to proceed. I really would rathe rnot have to re-install all of
> those ports if there is no reason.

Does "pkg upgrade" not work? If portmaster is such a special snowflake
that requires multiplying copypasta in UPDATING for every rename that
has > 1 consumer it should be documented it in the Porter's Handbook.
Another issue with portmaster is it makes committers (over)think
skipping PORTREVISION bumps like in 20170411 or 20150919 is safe only to
screw up pkg-upgrade(8) as changed ABI doesn't propagate to consumers.