Date:      Tue, 22 Dec 1998 00:33:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        molbloo@interport.net (alissa bader)
Cc:        robert@namodn.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stupid stupid stupid floppy question

alissa bader wrote,

> On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Robert wrote:
>
> > It is useful to put an entry in /etc/fstab, just like the one for the CD,
> > except the filesystem would be "msdos" not "cd9660".
>
> I tried doing this and rebooting.

*Eep!*

This is not NT. You don't need to reboot after any change. To load
changes to /etc/fstab,

# mount -a

See 'man mount.'

> Now apparently my computer thinks there should be a bootable, mountable
> file on the floppy upon startup.

If you copied the CD entry,

/dev/wcd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       0       0

Like so,

/dev/fd0c		/floppy		msdos	ro,noauto	0	0

It should not actually try to mount the floppy, and you'd typically
want to make a floppy read-write (rw) rather than read-only (ro).

> Because I can't get my machine to go
> through the startup process.  It goes down the list of devices and then
> simply hangs, and asks for the name of the complete shell.

At what point is it stopping? Did you make other changes? Changing
fstab should not affect the kernel configuring itself, which it sounds
like the problem you might be having.

> How do I edit the /etc/fstab file when my machine won't let me login?  Ok,
> it will let me login as root when I typed "login root" at the #prompt.
> But the terminal type is set at "su" and I've found that vi and ee can't
> recognize that.  Also typing "setenv vt100" does not work.

The power of ed(1)!!!

I'm no ed expert, but if you added the floppy as the last line of
/etc/fstab,

# ed /etc/fstab
<number>
$
<last line>
<number>
# _

Where items in <> are ed's very helpful replies (ha! ;).

Remember: ed is the default editor!