Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 22:24:06 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>, "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel PRO/1000 Gigabit Adapter

On Fri, 21 Aug 1998, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <Pine.BSF.3.96.980821095443.18351B-100000@duey.hs.wolves.k12.mo.us>,

> >> Why not consider ATM cards with single mode fiber then ?
> >
> >Hmm.. Well, its a thought.  I will actually probably put a switch on
> >one end of the fiber run, so i would need to find one with an ATM
> >interface.  I also don't know ATM all too well, so I'd kinda like to
> >stick to Ethernet.  It all comes down to price (and what is supported
> >in FreeBSD), though.
>
> FreeBSDs current ATM is about $1000/port for 155Mbit on copper, I don't
> know the singlemode prices.  You can connect two such back-to-back,
> so you don't need a switch as such.

Single-mode cards are very expensive (the optics), for short distances
(several hundred meters) use multimode, the fiber is also much cheaper
then. And yes, you don't need any switches - I use them exactly this way.
As for the price... Frankly, I don't remember, the company paid for this
:-), I vaguely remember something like $700 per multimode 155Mbps card.
And the difference in pricing between single- and multi-mode card was
something like 3:1.

Andrzej Bialecki