Date:      Mon, 8 Jul 2002 11:37:57 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <bsd@perimeter.co.za>
To:        "Peter Brezny" <pbrezny@purplecat.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: a default ftpchroot entry?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Brezny" <pbrezny@purplecat.net>

> Is there a way to have a wildcard in the /etc/ftpchroot file in
combination
> with an 'exculded' list so that every new user is restricted to their
> directory?

Hey Peter - are you still hacking away???

ftpchroot supports group names as well as user names.  What I've done is
create a group called 'email' for email only accounts, and a group
called 'ftp' for accounts which have ftp access.

Then, in /etc/ftpchroot I have this line:
---
@ftp
---

and in /etc/ftpusers I have this line:
---
@email
---

This prevents email users from doing FTP at all, and applies chroot to
all users who belong to group 'ftp', based on the home directory
specified in /etc/passwd.

Members of other groups ('wheel', etc) can connect and are not chrooted.

You will probably need to develop a variation of this plan to meet your
needs.

HTH.

Regards,
Patrick O'Reilly.