Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 2004 07:41:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      jitendra pande <jpande_techinfo@yahoo.com>
To:        Artis Caune <ac-lists@latnet.lv>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using Kernel level mutex in FreeBSD 4.8

Hi Artis......

Thanks a lot for the information.

I tried using the splimp(..) and splx(..) within my driver and it works for the fisrt go.....

But when i tried to do network activity like pinging another machine then my application using the driver crashes. The behavior is very erratic...in some cases it works even when doing theg network operation but in another sitautaion it just crashes......

can u help me why this is happening......is there anything else i need to do..

also any idea that in FreeBSD how does one determine the spl level at which a device's
interrupt routines execute

Thanks a lot for ur help....

Artis Caune <ac-lists@latnet.lv> wrote:
afaik 4.x use spl(9)

int s;
s = splimp();

... critical code ...

splx(s);

On Thu, 11 Mar 2004 05:33:02 -0800 (PST), jitendra pande
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to use kernle level mutex in my driver for FreeBSD 4.8. I
> tried searching for kernel level mutex but couldn't find any information
> on the same.
>
> The kernel level mutex functions mtx_lock(..), mutex(..), mtx_init(..)
> and other mtx_ functions are available from FreeBSD 5.0 onwards and not
> in FreeBSD 4.8.
>
> Kindly adavice me how should i proceed.
>
> Also is there anything like Gaint lock in FreeBSD 4.8. If so then how
> can i use it.
>
> Any early reply will be of great help.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Jitendra