Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 2003 17:21:19 +0000
From:      Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>
To:        "Jamin A. Brown" <jamin@gwi.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RELENG_4_5 no longer updated?

At 12:09 26/02/2003 -0500, Jamin A. Brown wrote:
>Not sure if this is the best forum to ask, but...
>
>Anyone know why RELENG_4_5 wasn't updated with the latest patches,

   From http://www.freebsd.org/security/ : "Each branch is supported by the
Security Officer for a limited time only, typically through 12 months after
the release."
   In particular, RELENG_4_6 will (almost certainly) be supported until the
end of May 2003, and RELENG_4_7 will (almost certainly) be supported until
the end of September 2003.

 >and if
 >there is some for of official announcement that goes out before a branch
 >is no longer updated?

   I'm not aware of any; but I'd agree that it would be a Good Idea if a
security notice was sent out at the appropriate time.

Colin Percival