Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2007 13:32:05 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Tek Bahadur Limbu <teklimbu@wlink.com.np>
Cc:        Prakash Poudyal <bsdprakash@gmail.com>, Momchil Ivanov <slogster@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Wheel Group users get root access without password prompt in 6.2

> Prakash Poudyal wrote:
> > Hello Tek
> > I think you donot have a root password it may be blank. And you know the
> > group of the root is wheel. your user group and root group is same so be
> > careful with that too.
>
> Hi Prakash,
>
> This is the 2nd time that I am facing this root password problem in
> FreeBSD-6.2.
>
> I did set the root password during sysinstall. In addition, I had even
> created a user account in the wheel group. However, for some strange
> reasons, the user got deleted and the root's password got reseted to
> blank when the freebsd box got rebooted.
>
> After reboot, I again have to manually set the root password and create
> a user account once again. All is fine and well after that.
>
> I have really found FreeBSD-6.2 stable and steady for production use
> however.

You've got something bizarre going on with your setup.  I've never seen
the behaviour you describe.

Are you sure that when you set the password, it actually works?  It's
difficult for me to even imagine what kind of problem would cause what
you describe without the system also being completely unstable as well.

Can you give us script captures of the process (sanitized as necessary,
don't email out any passwords) so we can see what you're doing any all
the messages the system provides?

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com