Date:      Tue, 10 Oct 2000 18:31:21 -0700
From:      Leonard Chung <leonard@ssl.berkeley.edu>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        kline@tao.thought.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bad IDE Drive

Hi Jeff,

Drive specs and current street cost aren't my primary sources. :-)

Let me throw in a quick plug for a paper I wrote earlier this year which
covered the whole issue of IDE vs. SCSI:

http://www.research.microsoft.com/BARC/sequential_io

It addresses most of the issues you raise here: RAID comparisons and actual
empirical numbers. Of course, any measurements can only give an
approximation of "real world" performance in a production environment, but
the numbers are pretty compelling none-the-less.

Also, as I've mentioned before, the mechanisms between two drives with
similar RPM and capacity but different interfaces is almost always the
same, so I'd be very surprised if longevity is an issue since they both
have the same moving parts. Consider also that SCSI drives cost generally
about significantly more expensive than a comparable IDE drive, so the
difference in price/performance is huge.

I started out being a bit of a SCSI guy, but I've become convinced of the
soundness of the case for IDE. Many of the issues brought up on this list
are similar concerns had myself when I first started looking into this
whole idea of cheap storage (a <=$10K/terabyte). IDE has come a long way
from the old PIO days where IDE and SCSI drives were made from different
mechanisms and IDE meant cheap and unreliable. Things have changed these
past few years with the advent of DMA and the sharing of drive mechanisms
across SCSI and IDE product lines. Hopefully after reading the paper, it
will hopefully make you reason to not chose those years older SCSI drives
over today's new IDE drives.

A quick disclaimer: This was a study done for Microsoft Research on Windows
2000, not FreeBSD, but it is reflective of the performance you can get out
of the drives themselves. The unbuffered IO (i.e. straight to disk) numbers
are probably the ones you care most about.

Leonard

--
Leonard Chung - <leonard@ssl.berkeley.edu>
SETI@home - The Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence @ home