Date:      Sat, 03 Apr 1999 07:49:08 -0800
From:      "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.Org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   GNU regex (Was: egcs knob and objective C)

At 03:32 PM 4/2/99 -0600, Jacques Vidrine wrote:
>On 2 April 1999 at 22:25, Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com> wrote:
>> We should also consider installing libbfd. If and when we bring in a newer
>> version of gdb, it would be a good idea to avoid importing yet another
>> version of libiberty and libbfd.
>
>... and GNU regex.

If you mean a version of regex included in the LGPL'ed libc,
yes, then this point might be mute.  However, if you mean
the regex/rx distributions, please, no.

GNU regex and GNU rx distributions are both under the GPL.
Henry Spencer's regex has a promiscious license.  Even if a
LGPL'ed distribution was available, I wouldn't recommend switching
without a significant and demonstrated technical advantage.
I've found that each implementation is even with the others.

I would suggest GNU regex be made ports unless some base
application required the -lgnuregex.

Kurt