Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 13:18:27 -0600
From:      Adriel Ickler <adriel@adriel.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   TV cards in current

I  installed two different tv cards in two
different boxes running current.  In both cases, I have severe problems.
I have very little in the way of logs,

case 1: ATI all in wonder 128 using gatos under linux emulation.
tv player comes up, but I cant click on any buttons, and if I hit any
key on the kb while the application has focus my box reboots without
anything sent to syslog.  I figure this is unsupported, so no big deal.

case 2: after having the above problem, I got a haupage wintv card:

bktr0: <BrookTree 878> mem 0xe8001000-0xe8001fff irq 9 at device 11.0 on
pci0
iicbb0: <I2C generic bit-banging driver> on bti2c0
iicbus0: <Philips I2C bus> on iicbb0 master-only
smbus0: <System Management Bus> on bti2c0
bktr0: Hauppauge Model 61201 A2ME
Hauppauge WinCast/TV, Philips NTSC tuner.

thats how the kernel reports it.  Just when I was getting my hopes up, I
made fxtv from the ports and ran it, little window comes up, looks great
and 2 sec later the entire box freezes, I cant even soft reset, I have
to turn the power off and back on.

I tried with and without iicbb0, iicbus0, smbus0.  No noticable
difference.

right now, it looks like my best option is either:

downgrade to 3.4 where there are many success stories using BrookTree
878.
play with the gatos code till I can figure out how to turn off all
keyboard input.

Any thoughts?  I know its not my hardware cause both devices work fine
in windows.

Adriel Ickler
Network Administrator	-  adriel@jlms.com
Self Trading Securities	-  Voice:	512-263-2769
www.selftrading.com   	-  Fax:		512-263-2141