Date:      Thu, 9 Jul 2020 15:12:01 +0200
From:      Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   12.1p7 no longer boots after doing zpool upgrade -a

I did a zpool upgrade -a to enable large_dnode and spacemap_v2.
After that, I did:
gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 2 ada0
gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 2 ada1
and:
gpart bootcode -p /boot/boot1.efifat -i 1 ada0
gpart bootcode -p /boot/boot1.efifat -i 1 ada1

Now the system no longer boots from either disk and drops to the efi shell.

>From memory, the partitions on ada0 and ada1 are as folows:

1 efi
2 freebsd-boot
3 freebsd-swap
4 freebsd
p4 is a geli partition with zfs in it.
ada0p4.eli and ada1p4.eli form a mirrored zpool (called zroot)..

The boot process no longer asks for a GELi password. It just isues
a no zfs pools found.

When I boot from a stick, it does ask for the GELi password. When
I set currdev correctly in the loader, I am able to load the kernel,
opensolaris.ko and zfs.ko. However booting failed because I get an
Error: Solaris: NOTICE: Cannot find the pool label for 'zroot'

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Guido van Rooij