Date:      Sun, 10 Mar 2002 17:07:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Increasing the size of dev_t and ino_t

In article <3C8B002B.D42A8572@mindspring.com> Terry Lambert writes:

>Note also that POSIX requires them to be atomic types.  So
>"long long" need not apply, FWIW.

Methinks Terry would be well served by actually *reading* the POSIX
standard some time.

What POSIX says in this timeline is that dev_t shall be an
``arithmetic type of appropriate length''.  (I.e., dev_t is allowed to
be a complex if that is the implementor's desire.)

POSIX goes on to require that ino_t be ``an unsigned integral type''.

POSIX has absolutely no notion of ``atomic types'' other than
sig_atomic_t.

In other words, `long long' is a perfectly acceptable underlying type
for both dev_t and ino_t.  The only other advice POSIX gives on the
subject is:

# The st_ino and st_dev fields taken together uniquely identify the
# file within the system.

-GAWollman