Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2001 13:04:38 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        gnats-admin@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/29341: jdk-1.1.8 requires obsolete .so's

I wrote:
>Fix:
>	Preferably re-compile against -STABLE.  As a minimum, add
>	dependency checks in the port Makefile to ensure that the
>	libraries are present before installing the port.

I've since found that there is an "echo this port needs compat3x
libraries" in the Makefile, but in my case, jdk installed
automatically as part of installing another port.  By the time the
installation failed, this message was long gone.

Unfortunately compat3x isn't a port so you can't directly use
RUN_DEPENDS, but it would be nice if the install step aborted with
an error if the relevant libraries aren't present so that it's
obvious that manual intervention is required.