Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 13:24:20 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>, FreeBSD-STABLE <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Compatibility Question

At 5:56 AM -0400 2000/6/26, Matt Heckaman wrote:

>  I've got a chance here to pick up a new Dell Poweredge 1300 for a very
>  good price and I'm wondering if I will have any problems running FreeBSD
>  on it, I'd like to hear of any pitfalls and so fourth before I commit to
>  it, obviously :)

	I have no problems on the Dell PowerEdge 1300 that is our primary
news peering server running FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE (and in the Freenix
Top 100), nor on the new news spool server I am building (running
FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE), nor have I had any problems on any other Dell
machines (I've got a couple of PowerEdge 2450s that I'm building as
news reader servers, with FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE).

>  PIII 550 (dual)
>  64MB ECC SDRAM (this will be replaced since I need about 512M of ram and
>  can't afford to/don't find I need to buy half a gig of ECC ram)
>  9.1GB LVD SCSI 7200rpm 1" HDD
>  Intel Pro 100+

	It's been my experience that when you start talking about
significant amounts of RAM (anything over 128-256MB), you really,
*really*, *REALLY* want to be using ECC.

	You can't imagine the amount of pain and hassle that will be
caused for you when you run into frequent hard-to-diagnose system
crashes, and you can't begin to estimate the amount of time and money
it will cost you to try to track down problems like this.

	Depending on what you're doing, how much down time results, how
much your time costs per hour, and how much work is lost by all your
customers, a single crash could cost you more than the ECC RAM that
could have prevented that crash.

	That said, this has nothing to do with Dell PowerEdge servers per
se, just that they allow you to use ECC RAM, and that I'd strongly
encourage you to reconsider this decision.  Other than that, the Dell
machines should work for you just fine -- certainly no worse than any
other systems I know of, and better than most.