Date:      Tue, 6 May 1997 19:04:34 +0000
From:      rajesha@ct-yardley.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        rakeshs@ct-yardley.com
Subject:   ftp daemon

This is in regards to a problem in the ftp daemon supplied with the
FreeBSD (Rel 2.1.7).  The problem is:

	1) Suppose I logged in as one of the designated ftp user.  The ftp
	    daemon would place the user in this directory ('/home/ftp/user')
	    Then suppose if he did a 'cd ..', he/she would be at /home/ftp'
	    Then he/she reissued the 'cd..' command thus placing them
	     in '/home' directory (on my system, /home -> /usr/home)

	2)  If an anonymous ftp user logs in, he is not able to go beyond
	      the '/home/ftp' even if he tries 'cd ..' two or more times.

	This 	would be a security risk if an ftp users other than
anonymous can get to system areas through ftp!!.  Are there any other
settings that need to be set in the ftp resource files

I would appreciate if you could give some hints or pointers regarding
these issues!!

Rajesh Acharya
Cybertech Intl, Inc.