Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 2004 15:18:33 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lilliput 7" touchscreen LCD

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, John Hay wrote:

>>> Ok, I have it mostly working. Not the the right click button thingy yet,
>>> but the rest seems to be working on FreeBSD-current. You can get it from:
>>
>> 	Yes! I've tested it with -CURRENT and it seems to be working
>> 	correctly in XWin 4.3.0.  The 25pcal doesn't work though.  It
>> 	loads but it doesn't respond to the screen touch.
>
> Have you tried it more than once? Maybe there is just a startup problem.
> I have used both 4pcal and 25pcal and it does make a difference to the
> accuracy of the "mouse" pointer placement on the screen when you touch
> the screen. The only important thing is that you have to run 4pcal and/or
> 25pcal before you load tpaneld because both try to use the uep device.
>
>> 	Everyting else seems to work like a charm so far.
>
> Great!
>
>>> ftp://ftp2.za.freebsd.org/pub/local/
>>>
>>> The files are:
>>>
>>> README.bin		- describe how to use the binaries
>>> touchkit-bin.tgz	- binaries for FreeBSD-current
>>>
>>> README.src		- describe how to compile bits and pieces
>>> touchkit-src.tgz	- the modified touchkit source tree
>>> touchkit.diff		- a diff between the original and my code
>>> uep.tgz			- the source for the usb driver
>>>
>>> Note, I have tried to make everything in the touchkit compile, only the
>>> pieces that I have needed. Also, I haven't cleaned things up too much
>>> yet. I doubt if the usb driver will work as is on -stable, but it will
>>> probably be pretty easy to make it work.
>>
>> 	I'll gladly help you out here with cleaning and documentation.
>> 	Maybe make a port our of it or does this belong with the main
>> 	source?
>
> I think the usb driver, uep, should go into the main source and the rest
> should be a port. At the moment I'm preparing for a 10 day trip in Aug
> to Botswana and the Caprivi part of Namibia, so I have some other things
> with higher priority. I needed the touchscreen for the car computer
> tgough. :-) I'll look at getting the uep driver into FreeBSD. If you
> want to look at making a port out of the rest, that will be great.

 	I have made a prelim port out of the touchkit source you made
 	available.  IT IS only a preliminary port as much work needs to be
 	done, but if someone needs it for testing, it is available at:

 	http://freebsd.rogness.net/ports/touchkit/touchkit-port.tar

 	To install:

 		> tar -xvpPf touchkit-port.tar
 		> cd /usr/ports/sysutils/touchkit && make install

 	Still need to clean it up and get the xf86drv crap working right.
 	Once that happens, I will submit it.  I'm assuming that it
 	probably needs to be done at or before the uep code gets put in
 	the main source.

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
-
   How many people here have telekenetic powers? Raise my hand.
   				-Emo Philips