Date:      05 Sep 1996 13:09:05 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth), current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Latest Current build failure

Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com> writes:

> Case in point.
>
> SUP is a 'good' distribution tool.  However, we all admit that it had
> flaws.  Enter John Polstra.  Following the *exact* procedure above, he
> implemented CVSup, tested it, and then presented it to Jordan and a few
> other developers.

Not everyone likes to work this way. Some people are happy to spend
their time working on their pet projects regardless of whether they
ever get adopted or not. Others prefer to discuss proposals up front
and see if there's interest in the idea before wasting their time on a
solution that no-one's ever going to be interested in.

The build system is so complex that it makes sense to me to get
feedback from all possible users about what a "new" solution should
look like. If people don't want to contribute to that discussion then
they can just hit the delete key instead of trying to kill off the
thread.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155