Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 1995 11:04:18 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        mng@crl.com (Mark Ng)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syscons, fbsdboot, & SVGA notebook?

> I'm trying to get XFree86 running on an IBM Thinkpad
> 755CX notebook in 800x600 LCD mode but having a problem
> with text output to the console getting messed up.

[ ... ]

> FreeBSD using "fbsdboot -r." But while booting all
> text lines from the copyright message onward look
> like they're printed on the same line (with one or
> more spaces where you'd expect newlines and it seems
> like an increasing number of spaces as more lines
> are printed) until they get to the right edge of
> the screen, when they break to the next line.
>
> I login and start X anyway and it works OK. The screen
> appears more or less properly restored after exiting
> X ("vidcontrol VGA_80x30" after login also does same).

The console has 30 lines.  It believes that it has scrolled when it
goes to the 26th and believes the cursor has been repositioned to the
25th line and keeps going.

The way to fix it is to get the hardware to respond correctly to
the probe for number of lines.  8-).

Barring that, you can hack the console seorce code to tell it 30
lines.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---