Date:      Wed, 12 Jun 2002 04:27:19 +0200
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <cyrille.lefevre@laposte.net>
To:        Bjoern Fischer <bfischer@Techfak.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
Cc:        freebsd stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: pax fix (was Re: WARNING! New GNU Tar in 5-CURRENT could erroneously create world writeable dirs)

On Wed, Jun 12, 2002 at 03:07:45AM +0200, Bjoern Fischer wrote:
> > PS : I've finished to merge diffs from OpenBSD last week, but diffs
> > w/ NetBSD are really big... so, be patient :P
>
> What about bin/35886?

already done using the NetBSD way. the problem is that they use
LC_TIME (hugh!) to pass the format string to strftime while
LC_TIME isn't suppose to contain any format strings but a locale
name. so, I don't know yet how to handle this case.  whatever,
I'm not sure that adding a yet another non portable option would
be good. how about using env var PAX_TIMEFMT instead ?

something is missing in the SUSV3 standard. -o can't be use for
reading (not extracting -- aka no -r nor -w) archive.
in other way, I would like to say something like this :
	pax -o freebsd.timefmt=... -f archive
but I can't w/o breaking the standard! grrr.

search for the VENDOR keyword in the the following URL for details :

	http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/utilities/pax.html

Cyrille.
--
Cyrille Lefevre                 mailto:cyrille.lefevre@laposte.net