Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 1999 10:58:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@altavista.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sync(8) doesn't have any effect on softupdates-enabled filesystem

:>    structures used internally by softupdates are not condusive to doing a
:>    hard-sync.
:
:I gues sync needs to set a flag which makes the sync'er go through all
:buckets with no delay and then wake the sync'ing process afterwards...
:
:--
:Poul-Henning Kamp             FreeBSD coreteam member

    It won't help.  What needs to happen is for the VOP_FSYNC in ffs to
    figure out buffer<->buffer dependancies - something which is not being
    recorded in the structures currently.  Kirk indicated to me in our
    discussions a few weeks ago that it would be relatively easy to figure
    out *some* of the dependancies and write the buffers out in the correct
    order, but not all of them.  There are dependancies which are much
    more complex and not simply a matter of writing buffers out in any
    particular order.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>