Date:      Wed, 08 Oct 2008 14:30:54 -0700
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net>, Volker <volker@vwsoft.com>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: continuous backup solution for FreeBSD

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 22:19:48 +0200 =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>  wrote:
> Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com> writes:
> > > You completely missed the mark.  I know what R1Soft's product is.
> > > What I want to know is what needs to be done to port it to FreeBSD.
> > Sorry, my mindreader is broken.  If this is what you really wanted to
> > know, why not ask R1Soft?  -hackers is not going to shed any light on
> > the specifics of R1Soft's product.  I replied to say that implementing
> > a similar solution is not hard (I am sure you knew that too but I
> > wasn't responding just to you).  It may even be worth doing.
>
> I didn't actually ask a question, and I don't mind that you don't have
> the answer.  What I do mind is that you interpreted my statement of
> frustration as a question, and provided a completely irrelevant answer.
> You don't need to read minds to understand this, just English.

Interpreting an expression of frustration as a request for a
solution is a common engineering trait:-)  I can see you may
not prefer my interpretation but I can't understand why you
"mind" it.  But so be it.  I do not wish to annoy you.

> If you take a step back and go through and read the entire thread again
> from the start, though, I think you will understand my frustration.

I understand your frustration but I chose to instead focus on
the technical part.  I too can get frustrated in similar
situations but every time that happens I can trace it back to
my own stress.  I can't really control what others say so the
way I deal with it is to ignore it or joke about it.  I do
try to clear misunderstandings but people don't always
understand my point of view!  As for feeling frustrated, I
now view that as a warning signal.

> Evren asked a question which everybody else is doing their best not to
> answer in as many words as possible; and when I try to answer, I find
> out that Evren doesn't really know what the question is.

Actually that was clear in his very first email.

> This is where - in an ideal world - somebody at R1Soft would jump in and
> start asking the right questions...

Don't bet on it.  My musings even makes me wonder if they do it right.