Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 1996 12:42:23 PST
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Seeking advice on mrouted configuration..

In message <3508.825541227@time.cdrom.com>you write:
>Yes, both pairs are in the same subnets, but that should be OK from a
>unicast point of view so why mandate special twisty semantics for
>multicast when you don't have to?  Is it really so hard to make
>mrouted respect this scenario?

Rather, "people noticed a long time ago that unicast doesn't break when you
break the Internet architecture in this way, so it became accepted practice,
so why does mrouted break?" -- well, because you broke the Internet
architecture.

I'm not saying that I'm not working on "fixing" such things, I'm just saying
that it's more complex an issue [in fact, a fundamental architectural issue]
than most people realize.

  Bill