Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 12:25:14 -0400
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        fingers <fingers@fingers.co.za>
Cc:        FreeBSD stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: (probably stupid) question about onboard SoundBlaster

fingers stated:
: Hi all
:
: Ok, I've unfortunately got an onboard sound card of sorts. According to
: the bios, it's a "legacy SoundBlaster". Now I've tried reading varios
: doc's, but most of them are outdated.
:
: /usr/src/sys/i386/isa/sound/sound.doc talks about:
:
: Instructions on using audio on a FreeBSD 2.1 (or 2.0-current) system.
:
: I've tried many variatios of my kernel config, some trying pcm and snd,
: some trying sb0 and even the following which I found in the mailing list
: archives:
:
: <from very old mail>
: controller      pnp0
: controller      snd0
: device          sb0     at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr
: device          sbxvi0  at isa? drq 5
: device          sbmidi0 at isa? port 0x330
: device          opl0    at isa? port 0x388
: </from very old mail>
:
: but no matter what I get errors with a make, or something similar. If
: anyone's using a GA-6VX7-4X Gigabyte motherboard. If anyone can point me
: to some recent documentation that would still be relevant, or has some
: suggestions, please let me know.

Rob-

You don't mention what version of FreeBSD you are using .. 4.0, 4.1?
Do you know if it is PCI or ISA .. what chipset is this using?  If it
is ISA...

options PNPBIOS
device pcm

and then "cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV snd0"

if it is pci and supported, the options PNPBIOS is probably not needed
(but is useful for a lot of other things).

So, I went to www.giga-byte.com and found the GA-6VX7-4X uses the
Apollo Pro 133A.  This probably means that it is a VIA soundcard
built-in to the motherboard.  Support for this card was recently
added to -current (not sure if Cameron has MFC'd it .. you most likely
can).

Here is how:

grab  the latest copies of:

via82c686.c and via82c686.h

from

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/sound/pci/

and then add

dev/sound/pci/via82c686.c optional pcm pci

to /sys/conf/files

just above

dev/sound/pcm/ac97.c optional pcm

Hope this helps.

PS. The original was written for 4.x and is located at
    http://www.inode.org/sw/auvia/