Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 10:08:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "J. Goodleaf" <goodleaf@goodleaf.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Argh. Postgresql headaches (not covered in recent exchange)

Hello all; coming to the well for help again. I cannot get PostgreSQL to
make and install correctly.
Am running 4.0-STABLE (updated ca. 1 wk ago). This was a fresh install--no
updates from previous versions--all ports new from scratch.

When I attempt to install by making the port--this is version 7 of
PGSQL--I invariably get an error during the patching of postgres. I issue
'make -DWITH_TCL' to start the ball rolling and the system happily
downloads, makes etc., gets TCL and so forth and then comes:
patch: can't cd to /usr/ports/databases/postgresql7/work//src: No such
file or directory.

I've tried toying with the makefile, but I have only a vague idea of what
I'm doing...

Also, tried to build and install the hard way, by downloading the
source. I run into different problems here. First, ./configure refuses to
configure with tcl. It claims not to be able to find it. (Although I do
have it; tcl tk 8.2.3...) If I gmake without trying the tcl options,
everything works right up through the install, but when I log in as
postgres (db superuser) and issue any command beyond initdb and
postmaster, I get shared object libxx.so.2 not found (I don't remember
precisely what the file was; sorry.) So I can't 'createuser' or any such.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. My boss, who I was trying to
impress with this stunt, probably thinks I'm an idiot now...
-John