Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 11:55:21 +0200
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        mjacob@feral.com, Carl Makin <carl@xena.IPAustralia.gov.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual Pathing to SCSI/FC devices.

At 4:28 PM -0800 2000/3/28, Matthew Jacob wrote:

>  Yes, we very much has considered this. What's your issue about this, per se?
>  Right now there's no framework code to directly exploit or prohibit multiple
>  paths to the same disk, whether via Fibre Channel or SCSI.

	Myself, I just need to be able to tell the system that SCSI ID x
LUN y is actually the same logical device as SCSI ID v LUN w, but
that one is preferred and the other is backup, and have FreeBSD deal
with doing the re-targeting in the CAM SCSI driver.

	The end result should be that nothing above the CAM SCSI driver
should know that a switch has occurred -- especially not programs
like vinum, which might be called upon to do software
mirroring/striping/RAID on top of the hardware
mirroring/striping/RAID.

	Same deal with fibrechannel as SCSI.

	Does that about sum it up?

	Oh, and Carl -- I don't suppose you're looking at Hitachi DF400
(sometimes rebadged as Comparex D1400) units, are you?  If so, I'd
like to talk to you in some depth about these things -- maybe you can
come up with some solutions for some problems I've had.