Date:      Wed, 6 May 1998 10:35:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can not stop the Rumba dance (NFS)

On Wed, 6 May 1998, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

> Attempts to ``umount -f rumba-2467'' exit immediately with
> ``umount: /home/mi/stack: Device busy''.
>
> I see no other options, but reboot, which is a bloody shame, IMHO.
> The ssh process that established the forwarding is long gone...

  For a stateless protocol, NFS can certainly get into a lot bad states
where you must reboot.

  Another one to try, is to dismount the exported filesystem on your NFS
server, newfs it, then remount it.  All the FreeBSD clients will now be
complaing about stale filehandles, and must be rebooted to recover.

Tom