Date:      Tue, 07 Sep 1999 23:06:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Handling distfiles in multiple subdirs on master site: how?

Bill Fenner wrote:

> The canonical way to do this is kind of ugly:
>
> MASTER_SITES=   http://m3.polymtl.ca/m3htbin/download/m3/pkg/pm3-1.1.13/ \
>               http://m3.polymtl.ca/m3htbin/download/m3/pkg/pm3-1.1.13/libs \
>               http://m3.polymtl.ca/m3htbin/download/m3/pkg/pm3-1.1.13/graphics/gr-libs
> DISTFILES=    set.tgz m3config.tgz ui
>
> especially since it causes a bunch of errors to occur before actually
> fetching the right files.

Right, I don't like it because of its n**2 problem with too many
combinations of master site / distfile that aren't right.

If the fetch step can just be made to preserve the directory structure
of the DISTFILES entries, then everything will work fine.  I made a
shell script that does that, and pointed FETCH_CMD at it.  Once I did
that, everything fetched and built OK.

Here's the script.  It uses the fact that all of my MASTER_SITES end
in "pm3-1.1.13" to figure out where the master site portion ends and
the distfile portion begins.  But that wouldn't be needed if this
functionality were supported in <bsd.port.mk> directly.

    #! /bin/sh

    PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin
    export PATH

    url=$1
    path=${url##*/pm3-1.1.13/}
    dir=${path%/*}

    minusA=
    if [ `sysctl -n kern.osreldate` -ge 300000 ]; then
        minusA="-A"
    fi

    mkdir -p ${dir} || exit
    exec fetch $minusA -o ${path} ${url}

John
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron