Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2000 11:35:39 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Steve Roome <steve@sse0691.bri.hp.com>
Cc:        behanna@zbzoom.net, Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, jim@siteplus.net
Subject:   Re: 4.1-RELEASE pccard?

In message <20001003182926.M1786@moose.bri.hp.com> Steve Roome writes:
: I know what the MAC address is supposed to be! I've been through all
: of the cards attribute memory but can't find it. It was about a month
: back now, but the only MAC address that works was not anywhere within
: the cards memory that I could see.

I recall seeing a syntax for this in pccardd.  Hmmm, hold I while I
check...

OK.  Looks like normal FreeBSD's ether statement doesn't allow one to
directly set the NIC address.

: That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, as surely it has to either be
: in there somewhere or perhaps (unlikely?) coded somehow, but I
: certainly couldn't find it at all. Which is why I opted for the nasty
: hack.

For the Ed cards (ne-2000 and clones), the NIC address is usually in a
ROM that the NIC chip reads and presents to the driver writer in a
number of I/O ports (yes, I'm being vague, because the details vary
somewhat).

: I know it looks really stupid, but honestly I didn't step lightly into
: hardcoding my MAC address before really trying very hard to use the
: ether offset option!

I understand that.  I'm just trying to understand the type of card
that you have.

: I'll give anything else a go to find it properly as I'd rather have a
: less ugly hack... Although...  the net card itself had a dodgy cable
: converter (the thing that goes from RJ45 <-> PCcard-whatever it is 15
: pin connector) so I've soldered a RJ45 female connector directly onto
: the pccard pcb. I wasn't expecting this to work as I've not got the
: most precise soldering iron!

Hmmm, well, I wouldn't laugh at that.  You should see one of my
3C589D's that does exactly the same thing.  It even works, so long as
I don't move it too much.

: Stop laughing! It's been on 24/7 for a month since with no problems
: other than a dieing LCD screen. It makes a great router/mail server at
: home.

I've often thought about doing this myself.  The trouble is that I
don't have a spare laptop to dedicate to this.  I just moved my router
world over to a tiny 486DX2 (amd) from a large 486DX2-66 (intel).  The
tiny system takes up less space than most laptops, except maybe a
libretto 50CT!

Warner