Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 1995 13:39:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Steven G. Kargl" <kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        karl@Mcs.Net (Karl Denninger)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com (FreeBSD)
Subject:   Re: SCSI disk wedge

According to Karl Denninger:

>>> Was wondering if there had been any progress on the SCSI disk channel hangs
>>> we reported here a month or so ago.
>>
>> Can you be more specific about which controller and/or drives you are
>> seing this with?  Trying to recall the mail for the last month with
>> ``disk channel hangs'' as the keyword doesn't work for me, my poor old
>> mind is not what it use to be :-)
>
> Aha1742 and AHA 27xx -- both EISA.
>
> On the 27xx driver we get an error, on the 1742 the failure is silent.
> Other than that, the behavior is identical.

I have a 1742 and it is humming along without incident.

%uptime
 1:30PM  up 5 days,  5:03, 4 users, load averages: 0.17, 0.15, 0.24

Don't let the load average fool you.  I have been doing some number
crunching which produces data files from 1 to 10 MB in size.  I also
rebuild the entire source every week.

I have 2 drives (Quantum and Maxtor) and a HP DAT hanging off my 1742.

> Termination has been checked, this system ran BSDI before without trouble.
> SCSI bus is known good.  DMA max clock rate is irrelavent.  The system is
> running enhanced mode in all cases.
>
>>> Any hope or help out there? :-)  New SCSI drivers perhaps, or patches?

What is connected on your bus?

--
Steven G. Kargl     | Phone: 206-685-4677 |
Applied Physics Lab | Fax:   206-543-6785 |