Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 12:25:33 -0500
From:      Wm Brian McCane <root@bmccane.uit.net>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Lars Eggert <larse@usc.edu>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Who is working on the TCP stack?

> <<On Sat, 26 Jul 1997 09:39:02 -0800, Lars Eggert <larse@usc.edu> said:
>
> > and sorry if this not the right place to ask. I will be implementing some
> > changes to TCP as part of a research project during the fall (if you are
> > interested, see RFC 2140, "TCP Control Block Interdependence." J. Touch.
> > April 1997.)
>
> > I was wondering, if anybody else is working on the TCP stack at this time.
> > Would -current be the right place to implement those changes, or should I
> > stick with -stable? Is there anything else I should be aware of?
>
> There are a group of people who have been working on and off on
> various network issues, of which I am a member.  The people in the
> CAIRN consortium have been doing a lot of work as well, but since they
> don't talk much to me I don't know what they are up to.  I don't think
> that anyone is working on TCP in particular at this point (I could be
> wrong); certainly if I had the time I would like to, but I haven't had
> any time to spare for the past couple of months, and when I have had
> the time, -current has been broken (sigh).
>
> Certainly current is the right platform to target; there have been and
> will continue to be substantial ongoing changes in the basic
> substructure of the networking code which make it unlikely that any
> efforts based on 2.2 will easily carry into the main line of
> development.
>
> If you're up for a major re-working of the TCP implementation, let me
> know and I'll give you a few notions of the way we're headed.
>
> -GAWollman
>
> --
> Garrett A. Wollman   | O Siem / We are all family / O Siem / We're all the same
> wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | O Siem / The fires of freedom
> Opinions not those of| Dance in the burning flame
> MIT, LCS, CRS, or NSA|                     - Susan Aglukark and Chad Irschick

Somewhat related....

Has anyone checked into the reported incompatiblities with MS Winsock?  I read
in some 'Zine (Lan Times?) that Microsoft did not follow the RFC, and that Sun
has chosen to accept and work with this incompatibility rather than wait for
Microsoft to correct their software.  From what I read, the implementation bug
causes performance problems with non-MS Web servers (and as such was probably
on purpose, it wouldn't be the first time).  Anyway, I was just wondering if
FreeBSD is affected and/or if it has already been addressed.

	brian