Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2002 06:14:01 -0400
From:      Jud <jud@myrealbox.com>
To:        "Craig Williamson (ENZ)" <craig.williamson@ericsson.co.nz>, Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD with GCC3.1

wrote:

>>         Has anyone had success with getting GCC3.1 working with
FreeBSD yet.

>It's in ports...
>
>> A friend of mine compiled Gentoo Linux with GCC3.1 and he
reckoned it seemed
>> slower on his system than Linux compiled with GCC2.95.  Has
anyone had
>> success with GCC3.1 and is it worthing trying to install it over 2.95.
>
>I would think twice before wiping out the system compiler in favour of
>gcc-3.1.  I'm fairly sure that gcc-3.1 won't compile the world
>correctly on 4-STABLE.  By all means install 3.1 as a second compiler,
>but keep the old version around too.
>
>Of course, 5-CURRENT has gcc-3.x as the default compiler.  If you're
>bleeding-edge fanatic, you could take a look at the developer preview.
>Be warned that it might be even closer to the edge than you could cope
>with though.

Matt Dillon (I think it was in the -current mailing list) mentioned that using
gcc-3.1 seemed to cause high CPU usage during compile and no
improvement or some degradation in performance, if I remember what
he said correctly.

I'm using -STABLE, and I've tried to compile world, kernel and ports with
gcc-3.1.  World and kernel error out.  Ports usually compile happily
enough.  However, assuming that there's no performance gain, I've
pretty well stopped fooling with gcc-3.1 for the moment.

If I further remember correctly, someone at
http://www.coyotegulch.com/ liked the way gcc-3.x worked (though that
wasn't about FreeBSD).

Jud