Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2013 07:38:26 +0200
From:      David Demelier <demelier.david@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   System hangs but ping when remounting read-only

Hello folks,

I have a machine that runs on a compact flash so I try to mount read-only as
much as possible, but when I need to do some maintainance I remount read-write
with

mount -u -w /

It works, but when I try to remount read only the prompt never get back using

mount -u -r /

and the ssh does not respond anymore. I have also a serial cable and it is not
accessible anymore. However pings are still working so I can't debug anything
at all..

This problem appears on a 9.1-RELEASE i386 with /var and /tmp mounted as md
devices.

Regards,

--
David Demelier