Date:      Mon, 04 Jan 1999 20:07:15 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-admin@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0-19981226-SNAP/src/ssys.ac is corrupt

Mike Smith wrote:
> > Maybe my provider uses a Cisco, as you suggest on another message,
> > who knows... But having the connection stop at the precise point
> > four times with me, and at least one more time with the person above
> > (I can't be sure it was the same point with him, but it looks like
> > the same file, at least), while every thing else on a developer
> > install with full sources came correctly... how could that be?
>
> This is usually a "magic byte sequence" which blows the brains out of
> something in the transit path.  We've seen a few of these.

This could explain a similar proble I am having.

I do a "cd /usr/ports; make fetch" for the benefit of .za, and certain
ports "just hang". They'll get to n% of the download, and buggerall
retries will help. At the same "n" - stop.

It usually takes manual intervention and a different route to obtain
the tarball.

Big tarballs like mysql and netscape are more susceptible.
(Statistics, I suppose).

Mark Murray