Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 16:34:26 -0800
From:      "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
To:        "Jonathon McKitrick" <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        "Phil Regnauld" <regnauld@ftf.net>, <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Marketing vs. technical superiority (was: Judge: "Gates WasMain Culprit")

> Just a question... you mentioned somewhere before that NT kept users on
> the cutting edge with service packs.  I've heard admins says these are
> little more that bug fix kits.  Can you name some of the more advanced
> features M$ has provided 'without cost' to its users by means of Service
> Packs?

	DirectX, AGP support, KNI support, 3Dnow support, adaptive listen queues,
large memory support, support for new processors, more efficient SMP
support, support for concurrent NTFS defragmentation (though not the actual
defragmentor), cryptography, message queues, synchronization with Windows 98
platform features, fibers (similar to threads, but lighter), installation
enhancements (the Setup* API), smart card support, Java, and lots more.

	All of these things could have been charged for had Microsoft wished to do
so.

	DS