Date:      Thu, 04 May 2000 09:26:06 -0500
From:      Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@math.missouri.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   symlinking /tmp: was: size of root (was Re: Debugging Kernel....)

Ronald Klop wrote:

> As far as I know you can't change the size of filesystems in freebsd. (Of
> course it's possible, but I don't know the tool to do it.) But you can
> place /tmp on a different filesystem (mount it, not a symlink, because you
> will not have a tmp when booting single user otherwise.) Because this is
> the only directory in the root partition which is written on, it's the
> only one which may give problems.

I have been symlinking /tmp to /usr/tmp for quite a while (I got the idea
from the book "The Complete FreeBSD").  It has never caused me problems.
But now I can see the potential for problems.

What programs are there in /bin or /sbin that use /tmp that could cause
problems in single user mode (if one chooses not to mount /usr)?

--

Stephen Montgomery-Smith              stephen@math.missouri.edu
307 Math Science Building             stephen@showme.missouri.edu

Phone (573) 882 4540