Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 1995 15:05:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
To:        rthomas@pamd.cig.mot.com (Robert Owen Thomas)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD setup problem

ok, well, for a start you should look at getting a newer freebsd release.
2.0 is now 9 months old
if we can build a baby in that time imagine how much
it's been changed! :)

2.0.5 is available for ftp.
the boot disk is a single disk. You shoud be able to ftp that
from ftp.freebsd.org

> hello, all--
>

> well, since i have heard FreeBSD's support is second to none...8-)
 well we try..

> i am attempting to load FreeBSD on a Zeos tower.  the configuration is:
>      1) 486 DX2 66mhz
ok
>      2) 8 MB RAM
ok
>      3) 340 MB IDE Hard drive (all dos FAT-16)
ok
>      4) 573 MB CDC SCSI-1 hard drive on an Adaptec 1522 controller
1522 is SLOW.. don't expect performance here..
>      5) Mitsumi IDE CD-Rom drive attached to the Mitsumi controller
IDE cdrom support starts in -current, it came in too late for 2.0.5
unfortunatly
>      6) 3-1/2" Floppy drive ("a:")
ok
>      7) Sound Blaster Pro sound card
no idea.. I don't do sound :)

> the problem is this:  when i insert the FreeBSD 2.0 boot floppy, everything
> goes according to plan until it attempts to mount the floppy device as the
> root filesystem.  it then panics and reboots.  after the reboot, my bios
> tells me that the floppy drive is not correct.  i then enter my CMOS setup,
> and save & exit (my floppy is, indeed, still correct in the setup).  hmmm...
> both MS-DOS and Linux (ugh, which is worse?) load and operate without error.
do try a newer disk..

|   __--_|\  Julian Elischer       |       \     U \/ / On assignment
|  /       \ julian@ref.tfs.com    +------>x   USA    \ in a very strange
| (   OZ    ) 300 lakeside Dr. oakland CA. \___   ___ | country !
+- X_.---._/  USA+(510) 645-3137(wk)           \_/   \\