Date:      Sun, 12 Aug 2001 02:11:43 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: distributed natd

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

if memory serves me right, there was some loose lobby talk about
implementing this in ipfilter at bsdcon last year.
i don't remember who was involved, but anyway...

/k

Tony Landells(ahl@austclear.com.au)@2001.08.10 11:15:04 +0000:
> Hi all!
>=20
> I've been thinking about ways to improve the robustness of my firewall
> and I came up with the following idea, so I thought I'd run it past
> some other people for feedback.
>=20
> The idea is to run two (or more) firewalls in parallel in such a way
> that if one failed the other one would pick up the slack without users
> noticing.
>=20
> With our current firewall, we generally proxy connections, but for
> some things (mostly SSH) we just let it through ipfw, using natd to
> translate a "virtual" external address to the internal address of
> the target host.
>=20
> It occurred to me that if you could make a "distributed" natd, then
> you could actually get everyone to use virtual addresses for everything,
> and use dynamic routing to control which firewall handles the traffic.
>=20
> As far as I can see, the requirements for doing this are:
>=20
> 	a way to restrict the port numbers that natd will use so that
> 	each firewall will have a unique range
>=20
> 	a way for the natd processes on each firewall to tell each other
> 	when they set up or delete a translation
>=20
> 	a way for a starting natd process to obtain a state table from
> 	the natd processes on the other firewall(s)
>=20
> 	a way to tell each natd process what its "peers" are
>=20
> Obviously, this wouldn't work terribly well with stateful packet
> filtering...
>=20
> I haven't even begun to look at the code for natd, but can anyone
> see any fatal flaws in the concept?
>=20
> Tony
> --=20
> Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
> Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319
> Australian Clearing Services Pty Ltd		Fax: +61 3 9677 9355
> Level 4, Rialto North Tower
> 525 Collins Street
> Melbourne VIC 3000
> Australia
>=20
>=20
>=20

--=20
> Get the all-new Microsoft[tm] IIS (Internet Intrusion Server[tm])! Out no=
w!
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.n=
et/
karsten&rohrbach.de -- alpha&ngenn.net -- alpha&scene.org -- catch@spam.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 B=
F46
Please do not remove my address from To: and Cc: fields in mailing lists. 1=
0x

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp--