Date:      Thu, 01 Nov 2001 07:51:01 -0800
From:      Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Cc:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64 bit times revisited..

In message <20011101102014.D94635@gsmx07.alcatel.com.au>, Peter Jeremy
writes:
> Y2K should have taught us that software winds up being used for far
> longer than was originally intended - and one of the major costs was
> finding this software.  2038 is biting some applications now - and the
> number will only rise with time.  The quicker we solve the problem,
> the less re-work that will be necessary.

The other thing that Y2K taught us is that sometimes you cannot find
the source code, yet the binaries have been running for decades.  I'm
not advocating not going to 64 bit time_t but I think that cases where
the source code has been lost should be considered, e.g. ELF branding
for binaries built after 64 bit time_t has been implemented.  However
ultimately those binaries will break in 2038, so the question is, is
this reasonable idea?

Regards,                         Phone:  (250)387-8437
Cy Schubert                        Fax:  (250)387-5766
Team Leader, Sun/Alpha Team   Internet:  Cy.Schubert@osg.gov.bc.ca
Open Systems Group, ITSD
Ministry of Management Services
Province of BC