Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 18:03:18 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
To:        julian@vicor-nb.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: re-entrancy and the IP stack.

In article <local.mail.freebsd-current/3BF5A5D5.3D408744@vicor-nb.com> you write:
>As another example, the ipfw code uses a couple of static
>variables too, in the 'fwd' code amongst other places..
>
>What is needed is obviously a 'per packet' storage location
>for those things, defined in a "per protocol family" manner.
>
>Luigi has already tried this scheme by defining a
>dummynet specific mbuf type that can  be prepended to the
>front of packets. What I suggest is to extend this
>to defining a MT_PROTOSTORAGE. (or similar) mbuf type
>that generic networking code is educated to ignore,
>and that protocols can use to pass packet-specific state
>information from one place to another.

Um, no please.  MT_DUMMYNET is a bad hack that should be removed
(and which I've partly done in one of my trees).  I would rather
not perpetuate this, it causes more problems than it is worth.

I believe that Garrett went in a while back and removed all the
abuses of mbuf (used to store sockaddrs and the like), and this
would appear to be a step backward.

I don't disagree that there are many static variables that need
to be cleaned up, but I don't believe that this is the right
approach.
--
Jonathan