Date:      Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:53:38 +0200
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@bellavista.cz>
To:        Paul Robinson <paul@iconoplex.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Drawing graphics on terminal

# paul@iconoplex.co.uk / 2003-06-18 11:01:25 +0100:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 03:18:52PM -0400, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> > Some of this could be done in the current installer, if there wasn't
> > an effort to make it still fit on a floppy.  Mind you, I'd like to see
> > the floppy based install stick around for a while, but I think FreeBSD
> > needs to embrace the CD reality.

> - A graphic installer would be nice though, because novice users need a bit
> of cuddling in those first few scary hours when new to the OS.

    This would (and I viewed it this way when I started playing with OS
    OSes) be plain lying. Pretty splash screen, and then what? A command
    line? Pfff. I don't need a mascot winking at me from behind the
    edges of the screen, I want an OS that's as fast as it gets. STABLE
    on a P166/32MB RAM is faster than Mandrake 9.1 on a 400MHz Celeron
    with 128MB RAM. I don't want FreeBSD to become another Mandrake.

    Actually, I still remember installing FreeBSD for the first time (it
    was 3.something, and I didn't return back till 4.0 or something when
    I was actually determined to trying it out). I was scared, but I got
    it to install. Sysinstall is not that bad if you follow the signs,
    and quite managable if you don't.

    YaST and whatever RedHat calls their installer amounted to a damn
    lie to me. They promised things the running system didn't deliver,
    and I felt cheated. If you *really* want to make FreeBSD more user
    friendly, take a look at these man pages, and translate them into
    English: disklabel(8), fdisk(8), newfs(8). Or mount_ntfs(8): what
    the heck is a "nonresident file"?

    The installer is just an eyecandy, and not seen very often.