Date:      Tue, 04 Dec 2001 17:33:45 -0700
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        <JGordon@Alliante.com>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mail list is posting gone virus!!!!

At 03:11 PM 12/4/2001, "J e f f r e y   D .   G o r d o n"
(a "space cadet?") wrote:

>   To my knowledge the FreeBSD mailing lists have too much traffic to run a
>virus checker (and I don't blame them for not checking if they don't),

I do not believe that this is a valid excuse. Checking for a virus
or worm costs MUCH less than sending it to large numbers of users.

>plus his virus pattern was RELEASED THIS AFTERNOON.

Also no excuse. Our heuristic checker caught the very first copy
(See http://www.brettglass.com/spam/paper.html) and would run
just fine on the FreeBSD mail servers.

Also, one should NEVER rely on antivirus vendors to provide patterns
in a timely fashion. It is in their interest to delay deployment of
patterns so as to allow users to suffer a bit; it increases their
sales. McAfee is the worst offender here.

--Brett Glass