Date:      Sun, 23 May 1999 05:26:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jack Freelander <jack@rabbit.eng.miami.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jef Moskot <jam@winona.cs.miami.edu>
Subject:   upgrade problems

The installation/upgrade utility for FreeBSD 3.2 seems seriously flawed.
While upgrading a machine here at UM, the installation newfs'd SEVERAL
partitions other than just the root, which was ALL it was told to do.

Although backups exist for everything, it is completely ridiculous that the
upgrade utility would newfs anything other than what it was told.  Jef
Moskot and myself were both present during the attempted upgrade and we are
both certain that ONLY "/" was told to be newfs'd.

Furthermore, the label editor is asinine in its behaviour.  When trying to
return to the previous menu to label the partitions on a second or third
disk, hitting "Q" (the only reasonable choice on the menu) returns you in
such a way that you can no longer label partitions on other fixed disks.

Over the course of many installation procedures this evening, it repeatedly
try to fsk partitions it was never told to touch.

Also, the entire installation/upgrade interface is considerably
counterintuitive.  Selecting Q to quit or hitting escape to exit **really**
implies that you wish to totally abandon the entire procedure, instead of
simplying returning to the previous menu.  It would take little effort to
make this interface more intelligible.

I run FreeBSD at school, home, and work, and find that once it is installed,
it works very well.  However, I have serious complaints about the
installation/upgrade procedure.  I have never once seen it work correctly
on any system.

Please let me know what, if anything, will be done about these bugs.

-Jack Freelander