Date:      Tue, 16 Apr 1996 19:33:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Wes Santee <wes@bogon.net>
To:        jimd@mistery.mcafee.com (Jim Dennis)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which OS? Linux or FreeBSD

>From the desk of Jim Dennis comes:
> [...]
> 	Things I prefer about the Linux UI:
>
> 		Very flexible virtual console support (loadkeys,
> 		select/gpm, etc).

The only thing I miss in FreeBSD is a way to copy/cut between consoles
using the mouse.  I've asked about this before, but not received a
response.

> 		The extended filesystem attributes in the ext2fs filesystem.
> 		(Particularly the 'i' "immutable" bit and the "append-only"
> 		flags)

man chflags

> 		make config (and make menuconfig) to walk through
> 		kernel configuration (vs. remember with directory those
> 		kernel files are stored in anyway).

This was something I actually *disliked* about kernel builds on Linux.
I much prefer the config file format.  Then again, I love esoteric
files that are hard to understand. :)

> 		Linux always comes with bash -- on FreeBSD I have to go
> 		fetch it and build it.

Another good reason to go FreeBSD.  No shell should be that big! :)
Oh, since bash is a port, you can also just grab the pre-compiled
package, install it, and away you go.

> 		FreeBSD's concept of "ports" and a tree of
> 		make files and diffs that get a free package from its
> 		"home ftp site,"  applies any FreeBSD patches and does
> 		the build.  I like the concept -- I'm not sure the
> 		execution is there for me (and I can guarantee that the
> 		docs aren't -- maybe its just me -- but I don't get it).

For (just about) every port in the ports tree, there is a
corresponding package that is pre-compiled and ready to go (i.e., no
need to mess with fetching/compiling/installing).  You just run
pkg_install on them, and you're off.  Sounds like that is what you're
after.  I prefer the ports tree because I can tweak the configurations
to my liking, and still be sure the port compiles cleanly because it's
automatically patched to compile on FreeBSD...

Cheers,
--
( -Wes Santee <wes@bogon.net>                   Homepageless - and proud )
( PGP: email w/Subject: "Send PGP Key"                Powered by FreeBSD )