Date:      Tue, 19 Mar 2013 18:03:50 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADSUP] New make config UI

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 01:59:04PM -0600, Warren Block wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Mar 2013, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Since the work on the new options framework has been started more than 2 years
>>> ago, we faced a problem with the make config interface.
>>>
>>> dialog(1) is too limited to be able to represent in a simple UI all the features
>>> proposed by the new framework.
>>>
>>> The idea of writing a new UI was born at that time, eadler step in and wrote a
>>> first attempt called dialog4ports using ncurses, but never get into completion.
>>>
>>> A few month ago Ilya A. Arkhipov decided to jump in that problem and restart
>>> from scratch a new version of dialog4ports, with the help of danfe, eadler and
>>> I.
>>>
>>> The new version is based on dialog(3), adding to it a new widget (which is
>>> planned to be contributed upstream) and a new UI using that widget.
>>>
>>> After months of thinking/coding/testing we have been able to switch to this new
>>> UI and get rid of the old dialog(1) for make config.
>>
>> It should probably check for use of
>> /usr/ports/Tools/scripts/dialogwrapper.sh in /etc/make.conf.  I doubt
>> the two will work together.
>
> dialogwrapper should be useless now isn't it?

It did three things:

Cut long descriptions for old versions of dialog(1) (pre 9.x).  This was
needed to avoid a bug in dialog(1).
Show long descriptions on current versions of dialog(1).
Use the full height and width of the window for config options.

As far as I know, dialog4ports only does the third.

dialogwrapper was announced on -ports and -ports-announce in September
along with a request to test.  The people using it should at least get a
warning if it is not compatible with dialog4ports.