Date:      Mon, 3 May 1999 07:39:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Thomas Dean <tomdean@ix.netcom.com>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/11465: The port chipmunk will not run.

>Number:         11465
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       The port chipmunk will not run.
>Confidential:   yes
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
I am running 4.0-current SMP as of Apr 29, 1999

# ls -l /var/db/pkg | grep chip
drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 May  2 17:06 chipmunk-5.10/

From XF86Config:
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "MGA"
    VendorName  "MGA"
    BoardName   "MGA 2064W"
    #VideoRam    2048
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection
Section "Screen"
    Driver      "svga"
    # Use Device "Generic VGA" for Standard VGA 320x200x256
    #Device      "Generic VGA"
    Device      "MGA"
    Monitor     "Sony"
    DefaultColorDepth 16
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       8
        # Omit the Modes line for the "Generic VGA" device
        Modes       "640x480" "800x600" "1024x768"
        ViewPort    0 0
        # Use Virtual 320 200 for Generic VGA
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       16
        Modes       "1024x768" "640x480" "800x600"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "640x480" "800x600"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
    Subsection "Display"
        Depth       32
        Modes       "640x480" "800x600"
        ViewPort    0 0
    EndSubsection
EndSection

The chipmunk tools, diglog, analog, etc., all exit with
the same error.  This may be related to X configuration.

# diglog
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  78 (X_CreateColormap)
  Serial number of failed request:  7
# analog
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  78 (X_CreateColormap)
  Serial number of failed request:  7

This error comes from psys/src/mylib.c, function DisplayInitialize(),
line 508.  I created a -g version of log/src/log.

# ./log
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  78 (X_CreateColormap)
  Serial number of failed request:  7

gdb ./log
GDB is free software and you are welcome to distribute copies of it
 under certain conditions; type "show copying" to see the conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB; type "show warranty" for details.
GDB 4.16 (i386-unknown-freebsd),
Copyright 1996 Free Software Foundation, Inc...
(gdb) l DisplayInitialize
508                 XAllocColorCells(m_display, colormap, True, plane_masks, WinDepth,
509                                  &pixel, 1);
(gdb) b 508
Breakpoint 1 at 0x80dd645: file mylib.c, line 508.
(gdb) r
Starting program: /usr/ports/cad/chipmunk/work/log/src/./log

Breakpoint 1, DisplayInitialize () at mylib.c:508
508                 XAllocColorCells(m_display, colormap, True, plane_masks, WinDepth,
(gdb) p m_display
$1 = (Display *) 0x8188800
(gdb) p colormap
$2 = 46137345
(gdb) p plane_masks
$3 = {0 <repeats 16 times>}
(gdb) p &pixel
$4 = (long unsigned int *) 0x810f404
(gdb) s
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  78 (X_CreateColormap)
  Serial number of failed request:  7

Program exited with code 01.
(gdb)

In psys/src/mylib.c, #define WinDepth         4

>How-To-Repeat:
Run any of the X tools from the command line.
# diglog
- or -
# analog